Perfect Image Size for Social MediaCreated: 27.01.2016 | Updated: 27.10.2016
Social media needs images to get the attention of users - and it looks just cooler to underpin your blog article with a cool image. But beside your blog there is a whole lot of services you (or others) want to distribute your content to, like Facebook, Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn and many more. All of these services support images and you definitely should go for. Therefore you would need to create images in various formats and make sure to meet the respective guidelines to deliver appropriate results on various platforms. Well, I don't like that - too much waste of my time to create images in all these different formats. So I tried to figure out the most common image size to fit all of them nicely. And the one I am going with is ... wait for it... 1200 x 630 pixel. Basically it is the one recommended by Facebook as well and therefore not such a great finding ;)
Why this Image Format?The main reason you should go with this image size is the flexibility on various platforms and it is the minimum size to have a full blown up image in Facebook. The format is usually JPG because its more compact but if you need the image really crisp (like small text) you should go for PNG.
Image GuidelinesBut there are a couple of guidelines you should take care to make sure it fits (nearly) everywhere.
- The base size is 1200 x 630 pixel
- Use JPG especially for photos and PNG if you need it crispy
- On the left and right side you should have 80px of "padding" image content - nothing important here
- Make sure that all your very important stuff is in the middle in a 630x630 field
- Font size of 48px (48pt) if you want to make sure it is readable everywhere